"Taking it one day at a time because there is nothing better to do than living in the present."

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why I am such a horrible trader...

I am writing this entry to remind myself why the market has again got the best of me. Clearly after three years of trading I have yet to learn the most fundamental rules I have bestowed upon myself.

Rules:

1) Always set a stop. If I am profiting in a trade I must set a trailing stop. Whether it be a mindset stop or an actual price stop set in my brokerage account I must fully obey by it once I enter a trade. A mindset stop must be executed when price hits level. In short I must know when to get out of a trade before I get in.

2) Do not fight the tape. I can not go against the market if there is a trend. The trend is my friend only if I follow it. Repeat, the trend is your friend only if you follow it period.

3) Never use margins. Any leverage will only amplify my risk of losses. I will only lose the amount that I can afford to lose. (Probably every penny I have, but nothing beyond that.) Any further losses would entitle me to a death sentence. Why a death sentence? Without any capital I can not trade in the market, if I lose beyond the amount that I started with, then I can not make back any of the money I borrow and lost. What else can I do? Do not even set myself in that predicament period.

So the following graph and story is my lesson to myself. (Note I have repeated this to many times to count.)

Two Mondays ago I opened a short on 1100/1105 Calls spreads on the SPX that was set to expire in February '10. At that time the trend was sloping down, however I jumped into the trade too soon. Too soon because the SPX was able to go beyond the 1100 only one day after I made my trade. Hence I was losing in my trade significantly with the SPX peaking around 1105.

My first mistake was not stopping out of the trade when it was going against me. When I first entered the trade the SPX was around 1085, but I did not set a stop. The index shot all the way to 1105 on the following Tuesday with me having an unrealized lose somewhere around $3000.

My main reason for entering the trade was because I saw the 50 MA line trending down and the index broke the upward trend that began in March '09. With the trend turning in my favor by February 8 I was up over $4000. In a matter of four trading days the trade I made fluctuated over a $7000 span.

I should have exited the trade the following week as the trend began to turn upward. Unforgiving the market was I still stubbornly held my position. As the market turned upward gradually I was up about $2500 before entering the third week of February. My final exit point to still make a profit in the trade came around morning of Monday, February 15. My stubbornness and greed got the best of me and I stood with my trade. By the end of Thursday I concede with the largest lost I have this year to date. There is no reason I should have held the trade for this long.

I simply just could not get myself to admit to my mistakes. I wanted to win so badly and had the chance to exit with a profit. Clearly my greed and unwillingness to admit defeat were the cause of my demise. Is there nothing I can do to stop this from happening again? Yes there is, put in a g*d d*mn stop on my trades.

Why can't I get myself to do so is for one reason. I feel option spread prices are always fluctuating and usually it is never in a daily trader's favor. Market makers have the final say and can manipulate the prices to their favor. That type of manipulation does exist but I can not let that blind me from taking such a significant lost. It is my fault for holding out to the bitter end. I can not blame anyone but myself on that trade period. Yet somehow I had the decency to get out of the trade? But why so late?

My greed in trying to retain the unrealized profit was what set me back from exiting the trade. My complacency blinded me from thinking logically. The trend in the market was clearly up and I could have exited the trade Tuesday or Wednesday before the expiration day without significant loses, but I did not. I only conceded when I was totally demoralized.

My losing trade pales in comparison to what happened today in Austin, TX. Joseph Stack's actions today were totally inappropriate but if the suicide note is for real, I have total sympathy toward Jack. I to am unemployed and struggling to scrape by. Life is not as straight forward as I had hoped, but I live another day to do my best. Hurting others because I am going through a struggle is not right nor is it ethically moral.

Update: Talk about being very unlucky. The SPX Feb contracts do not expire until Friday Morning. They stop trading after Thursday, the day I exited my trade. At the end of the trade session the Treasury increases the interest rates and the market starts tanking. The SPX is below the 1100 point again. Just my luck, I lost any profit from the trade and on top of it lost $8600 in capital. Can it get any worse?

No comments:

Disclaimer

All information in this blog are not to be used as investments by anyone. It is shown only to record my own experiences in the markets. I am not responsible for any lose, pain, anguish, or death you may have from following my trades. Therefore I polity warn all readers to use this site's information at their own discretion.